Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

Maria sings when the telephone rings

james ensor
    james ensor

Maria sings when the telephone rings  Empty Maria sings when the telephone rings

Post  james ensor Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:41 am

I had been getting nuisance calls on the land-line.  So I decided not to answer the phone. It rang for a few minutes before ceasing.  Maria started to sing to it.  This was not a bark.  It was a series of notes , in the same range as the telephone`s ring.  I am not sure whether she was trying to alert me to the sound.

Maria has previously sung with a soprano she heard singing Wagner on the radio.  She listened with her ears fixed forwards, intently, for about an hour.  This is most unusual concentration for a Podengo Medio, who as you probably know usually have a very short attention span.  She occasionally sings to visitors that she really likes, usually women.

It seems that other animals also like to sing along with humans.  Jim Nollman, an American singer now specializes in animal songs.  He was singing and playing a cello-like instrument in southern Mexico outdoors, when he was joined by a turkey.   He then organized a concert for Thanksgiving with three flute players and 300 turkeys on a farm. The turkeys make their gobbling sounds whilst the instruments play and Jim sings. This was his first hit record.

Jim has also sung with wolves.  He reports that he had to sing in the tonal range of the wolves, a high tenor or contralto  before they would join in by baying.  He has also sung with Orcas in the Canadian Pacific.  For this he placed underwater speakers at the bow and stern of his boat and played the sort of music that he felt that they would like. Pretty soon a mother and her cub swam up and joined in with their typical clicking sounds. They would wait until the music stopped before responding.  This continued for years until the mother died of old age.

Some of his recordings are in the Smithsonian.

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:31 pm