Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

We meet three new Podengos in a day

james ensor
    james ensor

We meet three new Podengos in a day Empty We meet three new Podengos in a day

Post  james ensor Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Well to be more precise, it was one Podenco and two Batardos. The Podenco had been rescued from Malaga in Spain and was running with its owner who was wearing headphones. At the third attempt as she ran circuits in the park, I managed to stop her. Then I had to retrieve Maria our Podengo Medio. who had run off into the middle of the park.

Whem I eventually I persuaded Maria to return , she was a little smaller than the Spanish dog but very similar in looks. I believe that both dogs recognised one another but the meeting was not exactly a love match.

The two Batardos were recued separately from Calabria and Sicily in southern Italy. They have fine white hair. a little shorter than Marias. But the dogs faces, tails, long bodies, running styles made it obvious that they were close relatives. One was very shy and had obviously been mistreated before rescue, but the other was happy to meet Maria and to run with her.

More and more dogs are being rescued and found new homes in the UK, the Netherlands and Germany although some also get to the US. There is a video on an US site of a Podengo type dog from Romania, which is also white and is wandering about on her own in the capital Bucarest. This dog now has a new home in Germany.

Many of the new owners do not know that their dogs are Podengos but I hope that some will find their way to this site.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm