Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

Does anyone have any experience of Podengo cross breeds?

james ensor
    james ensor

Does anyone have any experience of Podengo cross breeds? Empty Re: Does anyone have any experience of Podengo cross breeds?

Post  james ensor Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:36 am

Niki, we believe is a natural cross between a Labrador and a Podengo Medio.  She weighs only 13kg (30 lbs) and so is much too light and slim to be a Labrador female. She has both the speed with agility and hunting instinct of the Podengo Medio. But she looks like a Labrador puppy.

For a Labrador her head is a little narrow as are her paws, although they are webbed. Her tail is also curly with a white tip and is more bushy than a Labrador`s.

Labradors arrived in the Cape Verde islands, where she was born, in 1905.  They were presumably brought by Portuguese fishermen from the Grand Banks who had collected them in St John`s, Newfoundland.  They came to the island of Sal to collect salt for their bacalhau or salt cod, still a staple dish in Portugal. Podengo Medios and Pequenos would have arrived much earlier. They were brought on Portguese trading schooners, where their hunting ability was put to good use in keeping down rats.

As in Portugal until Salazar put a stop to it, dogs -even those that have owners- roam freely on the beaches and in the streets. Mating is thus random rather than organized to achieve breed standards. The available gene pool, until recently was very restricted - essentially to Portuguese dog breeds.  Despite repeated neutering campaigns, the birth rate remains high but most puppies do not survive, for long. But the dogs that do make it - rarely more than one per litter - have remarkable tenacity and hunting instinct. Niki would chase seagulls tirelessly for hours.

The Avatar is of Niki`s inseparable sister who we believe had been named Negra. For english-speaking sensibilities we changed this to Jet, after the black stone found in north-east England. Both are now living happily in Nuremberg, Germany.
    james ensor
    james ensor

Does anyone have any experience of Podengo cross breeds? Empty Does anyone have any experience of Podengo cross breeds?

Post  james ensor Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 am

I have just been to Lapland where I had a most enjoyable experience driving a dog sled with five racing dogs.  The Finns use Siberian huskies, which are well-suited to the harsh winter climate - as low as -40C ( -40F) in January.  These are ideal for the marathons, which last several days. But in the sprints these dogs are not as fast as the Alaskan husky, which is a cross-breed.

The Finns have been experimenting with crossing the native Siberian husky with various dogs including English pointers and Australian dingoes to obtain a faster progeny. I was pulled on the sled by three Pointer-Huskies and two Siberian Huskies. It was very noticeable that the determination and effort shown by the Pointer offspring was much greater than that of the huskies, which seemed to trot along happily without working too hard.  The Pointer-Huskies were scraping at the snow in their determination to get the sled off to a fast start.

The Finns felt that they needed to cross the Siberian husky which is a medium-sized dog, weighing perhaps around 25kg (55 lbs), with a larger, stronger dog to increase the overall speed of the sled.  I suggested a Podengo Grande, which the Finns had never heard of. I have not seen a Podengo Grande running, let alone pulling a sled. But the Podengo Medios certainly display considerable tractive effort on the lead, as well as remarkable endurance and a fine turn of speed.  I am guessing that a Grande can run at close to 50km/hr (30mph) which is as fast as a race horse. Crossing with a husky might produce some dogs in the litter, which could pull strongly and run fast. But I am concerned about how they would withstand the cold, with inevitably a much thinner coat.  Has anyone tried crossing Podengo Medios or Grandes with any other breed?

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:06 am