Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

4 posters

how well do they train

dmcarty
    dmcarty

how well do they train Empty Re: how well do they train

Post  dmcarty Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:28 am

KAMAB wrote:what about the grandes?

I am not sure I am answering this out of order or not but as I said before Medio and Grande can be in the same litter so similar behaviors. if you see a post from me talking about puppies and what they are up too - I am refering to the Grande Puppies - since that is what is at my house.
    Tereasa Troll

how well do they train Empty training

Post  Tereasa Troll Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:18 am

I have a female medio. She is VERY smart and learns very quickly. It has taken some hard work, but she is fairly reliable off leash. I can call her off of other dogs, squirrels, etc. However, I NEED to get her attention BEFORE she starts chasing. I do obedience with her and will start competing in agility soon. She is doing pretty well in performance, especially obedience, but it has taken a lot of patience and creativity!

Terri
    dmcarty
    dmcarty

Post  dmcarty Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:02 pm

We do have 2 people in Texas - one with a 11 month old Wire Medio - who is training him and calls them "the Border Collies of the Hound Group". I have a smooth male puppy - almost 3 1/2 months who is starting in some basic obedience and rally and showing in matchs and is doing well. Both however are owned by people who have been around the Obedience ring before and know what they are doing.

I've taught mine to sit pretty quickly and my daughter has her male sit, shake high 5 and 10 and lay down.

But remember always that they are hounds and like many hounds - see it smell it - gone after it.

I always recommend leash or fence.

You do need to remember that you can get both sizes in the same litter - and in AKC they are considered 1 breed - I think that it is more an issue of the particular dog and your skill at early training.
    KAMAB

Post  KAMAB Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 pm

what about the grandes?
    allison
    allison

how well do they train Empty training

Post  allison Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 pm

The Medios are runners- or at least mine are. I had one girl get out and ran around the block and came right back to the house. But she has gotten out again and we had to go get her . They are very smart and learn quick- they learn to come back as some do lure coursing with them.

Allison Jones
    Michigan
    KAMAB

how well do they train Empty how well do they train

Post  KAMAB Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I was wondering how well do they train... do are they more homebound when loose or run forever.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 am