Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

2 posters

Is Bat a Podengo?

Lisaordway

Is Bat a Podengo? Empty Is Bat a Podengo?

Post  Lisaordway Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 am

Is Bat a Podengo? Img_3210
    Is Bat a Podengo? Img_3710

We rescued this crazy pup about 5 months ago, and I have been trying to figure out what he is!  He is nonstop, and when he runs, he leaps into the air!  His name is Bat...cause of the crazy ears!  What do you think?  Podengo is the closest I have seen. We live in Alabama. Hope the photos post.
    james ensor
    james ensor

Is Bat a Podengo? Empty Re: Is Bat a Podengo?

Post  james ensor Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 am

I would say that Bat is clearly a long-haired Podengo Pequeno. It is difficult to judge the size from the sofa. But essentially Pequenos have to be small enough to crawl down a rabbit hole, whilst the larger and faster Medios give chase when they emerge on the surface.

The acid test will be when Bat encounters any small furry animal on the loose. If he emits loud yelps and gives chase at over 20mph, then he is a Podengo. You may also notice that he runs in a different manner to most dogs. Technically this is known as a double-suspension gallop, which podengos share with greyhounds and whippets, with whom they have common ancestry in the Middle East. But most people just call it an odd bouncy run. They are very fast and wont come back if there is prey about.

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:43 pm