Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

Maria meets Doro a Podengo Medio from Italy

james ensor
    james ensor

Maria meets Doro a Podengo Medio from Italy Empty Maria meets Doro a Podengo Medio from Italy

Post  james ensor Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:54 pm

An Italian couple were playing in a London park with a new puppy. Even from 200 yards away, we could tell that it was a Podengo Medio. Its agility, speed and running style were all obvious hallmarks of the breed. Maria knew too. She is normally disdainful and even hostile to other dogs, but Doro she liked from the start.

The owners had rescued her from near Genova in Piemonte , Northern Italy, just a few weeks earlier. Like most Podengo owners in England, they had no clue as to what breed she was. \They had invested a substantial sum in a DNA test, but had not yet got the results. I would be amazed if the results come out Podengo, because I do not believe that the English labs have Podengo DNA. They usually fob off customers with some odd mix of terrier, spaniel and a few others.

I do not believe that the Italians believed me either. We think of Podengos as coming from Portugal or Spain. But as the Romans brought their ancestors from the Levant by ship, maybe some landed and flourished in Genova, too?

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:29 am