Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

5 posters

An introduction and a request.

J.W.

An introduction and a request. Empty An introduction and a request.

Post  J.W. Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:06 am

Hello my name is Jay and I am looking for a couple of Podengo Grande to hunt.
    I live in Texas and hunt almost everything that walks or flys, but I am hoping to put a couple of good dogs to work running up some boar. From my limited research it seems that the larger dogs are rare? I have quite a bit of experience in importing dogs from Europe and have some contacts in Portugal and Spain. But I know very little of the breed, and hoped to make some connections and LEARN. ANY advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance, Jay
    J.W.

An introduction and a request. Empty Re: An introduction and a request.

Post  J.W. Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Thank you for the hospitality. I suppose I will direct my questions elsewhere.
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Jay , this forum is very small so not a lot of traffic , I doubt anyone puposefully ignored your question.

I personally have experience with Grandes , I have a small mix male and a medium female.

I would look up the group on FB , lots more activity there but also stick around here.

I know I only check in every other week or so.

I think you could use Podengos for Boar hunting , but the methods used in America seem very different then in other countries.
    J.W.

Post  J.W. Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:50 am

Thank you. I have spoken to a friend that has several medium sized dogs. He has offered a couple of his. But I suppose some homework is in order to make the right choice. Thanks for the tip on FB. I will do just that.
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:55 am

In Portugal from my minimal knowledge , it seems like they use them to tire the boar out vs. catch and hold like is common in America.

I have seen my medium female hunt and I could see her as the first dog to run a boar out and get it bayed up but I'm not so sure if she would hold it until a hunter got there or more dogs show up as backup.
    J.W.

Post  J.W. Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 am

It is not standard practice for bay dogs to catch. They often help. But the primary job is to locate and stop a runner. Stopping a running hog can be done in several ways. I do not use a catch dog at all. I hunt with very small dogs that have been bred to convince a hog to sit down. It isn't as easy as it sounds though and I would benifit from having a couple of dogs with some more leg under them. They then keep the hog bayed untill I can creep in and take a shot. The Podengo interests me for several reasons. Speed, natural hunting ability, and alertness to name a few. I like the idea of of multi sensory dog. The fact that it is an ancient breed is also a plus. I am not hoping to become a breeder. I just enjoy hunting with dogs. It really doesn't matter so much what we are hunting. I enjoy hunting marsh bunnies as much as anything.
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Well , in that case then you just might be a good owner for a Podengo!

They are a blast and I am fairly certain I'll never be without one.

I wish I had the guts to try my female out on hogs but as much as I enjoy watching it , im to soft with my own dogs. I have no doubt my female could run one down , its me that might not make it haha

have you located the FB group yet?
    Vinheira
    Vinheira

Post  Vinheira Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm

good afternoon

I mean creating Podengo Portuguese bristly, if you interested in any of my I am available to help elevate this noble breed.

greetings
    J.W.

Post  J.W. Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:28 am

Well that is just what I hoped to hear. Thank You Brokenhalterfarm. I hunt nearly every day after work, and you are more than welcome to make the trip to Texas at any time. You can hunt with me, or watch. Either way it is a blast

Forgive me Vinheira but I am afraid that I do not understand. Are you telling me that you have a couple of dogs for me? Thanks either way... Jay
    Vinheira
    Vinheira

Post  Vinheira Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:26 am

Good Morning

I would really like to be able to visit, but is very expensive.

Now as for my Podengos already have some copies in the USA.

If you want some we can always talk.

greetings
    J.W.

Post  J.W. Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 am

I am interested and have sent you my contact information. Thank you
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

An introduction and a request. Empty Grande

Post  Admin Tue May 08, 2012 9:22 am

Yes they are rare - I have imported several and have also bred the only 2 litters of smooth grande in the US. We are not very active on this list so I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

I do have some information on their hunting style that I would be happy to share with you. They are not the go in for the kill or hold the boar down kind of dogs - most packs have a dogo or two to do that part - they do flush and drive toward the kill.

There have been several litters born recently in Portugal to hunt packs and based on the age of the dog you can expect to pay $1000 - 2,000 shipping plus the price of the dog.

Let me know if you want some contacts. I will not have another litter until next year and I'm not opposed to having dogs placed with hunters.
    Vinheira
    Vinheira

An introduction and a request. Empty Portuguese Podengo

Post  Vinheira Wed May 09, 2012 5:35 am

Good Morning

Since I did not say anything right now just have one male available.

But even if you make a point of bringing a Portuguese Podengo to your home, just have to bear the costs of transportation and veterinarian.

greetings
    james ensor
    james ensor

Post  james ensor Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 am

Podengo Grandes were used in Northern Portugal to hunt wild boar. They were bred in kennels and hunted in packs like English foxhounds. They had the speed and agility to chase boar through rough country and the size and strength to cow and corner them. They were sufficiently agile to avoid the tusks. The practice has nearly died out as has English fox-hunting due to the cost of keeping a pack and objections from those who consider it to be a cruel sport.

Your best chance of finding a good pair would be to fly to Porto and ask local dog people, most of whom can speak reasonable English, about contiuing packs and breeders. I am not sure whether a single Podengo Grande could corner a wild boar. No doubt the Texan boars are larger than the Portuguese ones. So you may need a very strong and large pair of Podengo Grandes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content