Podengo Central

Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC


    TOXIC LAKE WATER - THE RISE OF BLUE GREEN ALGAE

    Share
    avatar
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2009-08-08

    TOXIC LAKE WATER - THE RISE OF BLUE GREEN ALGAE

    Post  Admin on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:23 pm

    TOXIC LAKES
    If you come across a lake that has a lot of algae and looks stagment – don’t let your dogs in it or drink it. Blue green algae are actually a form of bacteria that blooms and dies back like algae. It started out brown and is now turning green.
    If pets get into the water they should be bathed immediately. If they drink the water in enough quantity, it could cause internal organ failure and the dog may die. A skin rash is the most common reaction for people.

    General Information

    What are blue-green algae blooms?

    Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) are any of a number of species of microscopic bacteria that are photosynthetic. They may exist as single cells or groups of cells. They occur naturally in surface waters.

    When conditions are optimal, including light and temperature, levels of nutrients (i.e., phosphorous and nitrogen, and the ratio of the two), and lack of water turbulence, blue-green algae can quickly multiply into a bloom.

    Blue-green algae blooms are likely to occur more often in warmer months.

    What is the concern about blue-green algae blooms?

    When some blooms occur in water bodies, exposure to the blue-green algae and their toxins can pose risks to humans, pets, livestock and wildlife. Exposure may occur by ingestion, dermal contact, and aspiration or inhalation.

    Risks to people may occur when recreating in water in which a blue-green algae bloom is present, or from the use of drinking water that uses a surface water source in which a blue-green algae bloom is present.

    What are the possible health effects related to blue-green algae blooms?

    Exposure to blue-green algae can cause rashes, skin and eye irritation, allergic reactions, gastrointestinal upset, and other effects. At high levels, exposure can result in serious illness or death.

    Depending on the particular cyanobacterium, and the amount to which one is exposed, blue-green algae have the potential to cause a variety of adverse health effects, including liver toxicity (e.g., Microcystis aeruginosa) and neurotoxicity (e.g., Anabaena circinalis). Microcystin toxins may also promote tumor growth.

    Destruction of cyanobacteria cells may release the toxins into surrounding waters, so care must be taken in dealing with blue-green algae blooms.

      Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:35 pm