Podengo Central

Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

New here from Massachusetts

Ajobrien

New here from Massachusetts

Post  Ajobrien on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:15 am

Hello.  I am the proud mom of two Podengo Medios.  I live in a very Portuguese community and my girls were owned by a nice Portuguese couple.  The husband is an avid hunter and hunts with a pack of Podengos.  I found this couple while I was looking for a dog to rescue or adopt.  My girls were going to be retired and needed a home, so I adopted them.  At the time, Zoey (smooth) was 7 and Jada (wire) was 4.  They have been with me for 2 1/2 years now.

So, they've had the chance to live in both worlds.  First as working, hunting dogs and now....couch potatoes.

Here is me with my girls Jada on the left and Zoey on the right.
    Admin
    Admin

Welcome

Post  Admin on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Wow didn't realize how bad I've been about checking this list - happy to connect you with some others in your part of the country.
    james ensor

Re: New here from Massachusetts

Post  james ensor on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:38 am

It is good to know that there are still hunting podengos in the States. Many Medios are still used in Portugal to catch rabbits. We met one called Kanga, who looks like a thinner, smaller and lighter version of Zoey. She lives in a motorhome on the Lisbon camp site and hunts mostly at night. There are no rabbits on the camp site but she quicly eliminated a plague of rats. She would not eat these herself but brought them back to give to cats.

Many of the Portuguese who disembarked at New Bedford came from the Cape Verde islands. Good mariners, they were recruited in the islands by whalers to replace the casualties from the trip south. After reaching America, few wanted to return. Some would have brought Podengo Medios with them on the boat service between Massachussets and the Cape Verde islands. Although there are no rabbits on the islands, they would have been adept at catching all small mammals from lizards to field mice and small crabs and turtles. This skill would have kept them going when the food ran out and less resourceful breeds might have starved.

Sponsored content

Re: New here from Massachusetts

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm