Podengo Central

Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

Has anyone trained a Podengo in agility skills?

james ensor

Has anyone trained a Podengo in agility skills?

Post  james ensor on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:54 am

I have been watching Cruft`s the annual dog show held at Birmingham, England. The agility competition includes European and world champions and the dogs set very fast times over the twisting obstacle course. All the dogs competing were Border collies, a breed that is very popular in Britain and which is very trainable. However, watching them, I would judge that Maria is faster at running in tight circles and definitely a better jumper. She has such a bendy body that I believe she would be just as fast dodging through the poles. I do not know how she would take to the tunnels, which are closed at one end so that the dog has to run into a dark hole.

My main doubt, however, is whether she could ever be taught to run through some 30 obstacles in just over three minutes. She is not especially obedient and I am not sure how good her memory is. Has anyone tried teaching agaility to a Podengo and how did you get on?.
    Admin
    Admin

Podengo agility

Post  Admin on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Yes there are Podengos doing agility rally and obedience. At crafts there is border collie agility and th ABC class which is all breeds but border collie. So th at s why what you see looks crazy fast.

Terri Troll in AK has worked her medio grande in agility and there are 2 on the Canada Superdog preformance team.
    james ensor

Re: Has anyone trained a Podengo in agility skills?

Post  james ensor on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:25 am

Thank you for your information. I will look out for news of agility performances by Podengos. You may be interesed to know that in Finland, where they race six huskies pulling a sled, they now cross Pointers with Alaskan huskies to get the best sprint performance. These crosses are evidently faster than the pure Siberian husky, at least over moderate distances. They are now trying out Australian dingoes as a cross-breeding partner for the husky to see how the offspring will perform.

Since they seem to believe that the dingo from the outback would survive the intense winter cold, I suggested that they might try one of the larger Podengos as a cross-breeding mate. They seem to have immense pulling power and a very eager spirit. Maria is often taken for a dingo in England where Podengos are rare. There was just one Pequeno at Crufts.
    Disco

Post  Disco on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 pm

james ensor wrote:I have been watching Cruft`s the annual dog show held at Birmingham, England. The agility competition includes European and world champions and the dogs set very fast times over the twisting obstacle course. All the dogs competing were Border collies, a breed that is very popular in Britain and which is very trainable.  However, watching them, I would judge that Maria is faster at running in tight circles and definitely a better jumper.  She has such a bendy body that I believe she would be just as fast dodging through the poles.  I do not know how she would take to the tunnels, which are closed at one end so that the dog has to run into a dark hole.

My main doubt, however, is whether she could ever be taught to run through some 30 obstacles in just over three minutes. She is not especially obedient and I am not sure how good her memory is.  Has anyone tried teaching agaility to a Podengo and how did you get on?.

There is an agility podengo pequeno in Switzerland that I follow - she is very good and very fast. Bred by Goldschakal.

My podengo is still a baby, but he has started some agility training now and is going really well.

In agility the course is different every time you run, so you the handler needs the good memory and you need to be able to communicate quickly with your dog where to go Smile
    james ensor

Post  james ensor on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:09 am

Disco looks like a miniature variant of Maria ( not the one in the Avatar). Is he a Podengo Medio puppy? Maria loves to run and to jump and is very fast, but I am not sure that she sould ever be willing to jump where I indicated.

Incidentally recent DNA research points to a genetic link between Podengo and Dingo,  though I am sure that their personalities are completely different.

Both are probably descendants of the Middle Eastern pale-footed wolf (Lupus Pallipes)

Last edited by james ensor on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Disco

Post  Disco on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:05 pm

james ensor wrote:Disco looks like a miniature variant of Maria ( not the one in the Avatar). Is he a Podengo Medio puppy? Maria loves to run and to jump and is very fast, but I am not sure tht she sould ever be willing to jump where I indicated.

Incidentally recent DNA research points to a genetic link between Podengo and Dingo,  though I am sure that their personalities atre completely different.  

He is a pequeno puppy Smile Very tiny boy! 3.7kg.

My dad often jokes that I accidentally purchased a miniature dingo, since Dengo sounds like Dingo and my puppy is from Australia!

With agility dogs we start their training really young and put a lot of work in early on to get the dogs to love working off lead with their handlers, it's can be a lot harder when starting with an adult dog, especially in a non-working/sporting breed!
    james ensor

Post  james ensor on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:42 am

In english-speaking countries Podengos are not very familiar sights. Maria is sometimes taken for a fox, which are numerous around us in London. Actually when she confronted one face-to -face at a street corner, we realised that she looke like one apart from the tail, which is far less bushy than a fox`s. We often tell people that she is a dingo and they do not seem surprised. She weighs just 13kg fully grown and is a medio.

It is probable that some of the Portuguese or Spanish immigrants to Australia brought Podengos with them although there is also a very similar dog. called the New Guinea singing dog in the mountains of New Guinea. You can see information on another posting on this site, with a link to a film clip of one in San Diego zoo.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 pm