Podengo Central

Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

Maria loves to run and play with whippets

james ensor

Maria loves to run and play with whippets

Post  james ensor on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:10 am

There are very few Podengo Medios in England. A few Podengos have been rescued from Portugal and a few of the very similar Podencos have come from Spain, to what is hopefully a better life. But Maria seems to recognize the narrow,slim form of the whippet as a suitable running companion. Her technique is to approach and then crouch down in her stalking posture with the body along the ground but her powerful rear legs poised like springs for a jump start. She makes a single bark and if this works, she is off running in a large circle of about 50 metres (55 yards) diameter.

She arches her back when she runs to obtain extra thrust from her back legs. The whippet`s running style seems similar, so I deduce that this is the double-suspension gallop. She runs at an estimated 25 mph (40 km/hr) and with her ability to jump long and high can make much the same speed over rough terrain. She is generally faster than the whippets that she meets, although the english whippet is, I believe, smaller than the American. Few dogs that he meets in the parks give her a run for her money, although a Rhodesian Ridgeback, bred to chase lion, can force her to accelerate.

Another favourite game is dodging left to right and feinting with partners. Whippets are no good at this but Jack Russels seem to enjoy it. Brando who we think is part Podengo and part Labrador once stole a tennis ball from another dog like this. The ball was right between them and I feared a scrap. But Brando just ran to the right, spun around and swept back, scooping up the ball, while the other dog was still running in the wrong direction. I swear that he was smiling as he ran off with his trophy.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:50 am