Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

2 posters

Annie says hello

PapaDeAnnie

Annie says hello Empty Annie says hello

Post  PapaDeAnnie Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello!

I'm writing on behalf of my Annie, a recent rescue who may be a podengo medio,
    possibly a mix. I'm hoping your expertise might help me check. Except for the
    floppy ears, Annie looks very much like some of the wirehaired podengo medios I've
    seen online:
    Annie says hello Img_0111
    Annie says hello Img_0211

Annie's eyes (irises) are light brown, perhaps the "honey" color mentioned in
    the breed standard. Her chest is deep, about to the elbows I'd say (as in
    standard). She weighs just over 30 lbs, less than the 35 lbs lower bound I
    believe the standard has, though we're pretty sure Annie is young. The vet said
    1.5-2 years but previous microchip registration info indicated she was born in
    late 2007. (She can be quite playful like a pup but and her teeth look clean.)

A few characteristics about Annie that I've not read in the breed standard, but
    perhaps they sound familiar to podengo owners? :
    - She has webbed paws.
    - Her skin is pink with darker blotches.
    - She likes to stretch a lot after getting up, especially "downward dog."
    - Very gentle in taking food from a human hand. (Possibly related to her
    tentativeness. We think her previous owner abused her.)
    - Points sometimes when sees something of interest, such as a bird or cat.
    - She learned within a few days not to chase our cats and will go nose to nose
    with them, or leave their room when asked to follow me out.
    - Has barked only twice in the several weeks we've had her, both times I
    believe in response to other dogs that were barking and acting aggressively
    (or at least energetically) towards us.
    - Loves belly rubs.

At first we though she might be a mix of Jack Russell and, to account for
    her size and webbed paws, German wirehaired pointer -- though the size
    difference between those two breeds perhaps would make coupling unlikely?

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

Best,
    Jonathan and Annie
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Annie says hello Empty Re: Annie says hello

Post  Admin Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 am

The first question we ask possible look alikes is where did you get her - geographically. There are very few Podengos (medio and grande) in the US There are some in hunt packs but the hunt pack are in pretty specific areas. The ones in the hunt packs - if they are bred to anything other than a podengo they are typically bred to beagles

Her face looks more Jack to me webbed feet however are interesting and could point to a hunting dog - I'll have to do more research on possibilities.

It is more likely that she is a mix of several breeds - perhaps the product of 2 mixes which would make it hard to pin down. The podengo coat has a clearly rough texture and they are intent on game or prey, there is no characteristic of pink on the skin as the skin and coat needed to be tough and sun resistant. The ear set itself is not indicative of podengo nor is the shape and of course they are not erect - but even not being erect - wrong shape and set. If you could get a picture of her standing - so we can see her from the side - might be able to narrow my guess but from what I see doesn't look podengo to me.
    PapaDeAnnie

Post  PapaDeAnnie Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello, and thank you for the quick reply. Annie was rescued from a shelter in Los Angeles (in a rather affluent neighborhood if relevant). Here is a picture showing her in profile (should have provided less foreshortened photos earlier). The chair is provided for scale, though it is a child's chair. If helpful I can take measurements when we get home, but she's 30.2 lbs and the top of her back approximately knee-high for me (I'm at 5'10").

Annie says hello Img_0212

Annie does take great interest in small animals: cats (again, managed to get her not to chase ours after a few days), the one rabbit she's seen, and we just had a good on-leash bird chase at the local polo fields (no birds harmed).

Another bit of behavior not mentioned earlier: she seems to have good balance on two legs, e.g. if she wants to sniff what food is on the table but without touching it.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best,
    Jonathan
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:39 pm

From the side view that body looks a lot like a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. That would account for tail placement, topline, color and 'slipper feet'. Thank you for sharing she looks adorable.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am