Podengo Central

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Podengo Central

Podengo Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Podengo Central

A place for Podengo owners and fanciers to share information and research the breed in a topical manner. Supported by the APPMGC & APPPC

4 posters

Hello from PA!

Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Hello from PA!  Empty Hello from PA!

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm really not the greatest at these kinda things but if you must do it then you must do it!
    I'll do my best to make this NOT sound like a personal ad , hah!
    I am 23yrs old , between my family and I we have seven dogs (all indoors) twenty goats , five horses , one donkey , a bunch of chickens and I couldnt tell you how many cats show up for a free meal!
    Three of the dogs are mine , but they all stay at my parents place while im at work.
    The youngest is a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno/mix although with what no one knows. I got him off of craigslist from a sketchy situation and im almost certain he was stolen at some point. He was misrepresented to me , but I couldnt leave him in the hell he was in. A supposed 25-30lb dog was in fact a dog with giardia so bad he was down to 9lbs. He is still on the mend but is currently a whopping 15lbs! He was gotten with the intent to use as a working dog and that is still in the air for him. He's young and had a bad start , but I won't rush him or his training.
    Maxine is next , she is a5 yr old blue heeler/spitz type mix. Shes the resident farm dog , I use her for herding and protection.
    Little Buddy is the dog that im not sure what i'll do when he passes. At 11yrs old , I know he isnt going to live forever. He is a lhasa opsa/jrt mix. Not exactly the manliest looking dog but he is one hardcore dog. At less then a year old he lost an eye picking a fight with a horse (his recall wasnt as good as I thought , but at 13 you think you know everything) He made it and is still as tough now as he was then.
    The goats are another story. About 7/8 yrs ago we got one as a pet and then two more to keep him company. Next thing I know , people are giving my family and I goats they didnt like or want , which brought us to twelve. Had an intact male (buck) that I couldnt contain and he um "blessed" us with 8 babies bringing the total to twenty. Everyone is now fixed and we are content at keeping everyone as a pet. The family farm is around 150 acres so space isnt an issue!
    Growing up I competed in youth/High School rodeo , which brings me to the horses. Three of the five were horses I used to compete on or show and they are now living the good life retired. The remaining two are my mothers pets , one of which is a miniature horse. The donkey is mine (see avatar) he is just shy of 12hnds and is our all around worker. Rides/drives etc.. Anything we can use him to do , we will.
    The other four dogs are varying mixes from the newest a pitt/rottie/akita mix , a blue heeler/spitz type mix (sister to mine) , a JRT that is the anti JRT (calmest dog you'll ever meet) , to what we call a North American Brown fluffy dog!
    I also have a duck named Goose , people seem to get a kick out of it.
    I myself have an interest in everything , the only considerable training i've had with dogs is with behavior modification. I happen to have an interest in SAR work , and pretty much everything else to be honest.
    For a living I manage a gentlemans farm , beef cattle and hay mostly. I also take care of his five horses. I also train trail horses part time or as I can , I don't take in any new horses over the winter because I freaking hate the cold!
    In the past i've worked a few jobs from Mcdonalds to a rodeo company (where I still work when needed) to being assistant manage at a bar for nearly four years.
    Im pretty easy going but I am more then willing to stand firm in my beliefs.

If you made it through all that then Hello Friend!
    What brought me to this forum is the hope of finding out who bred my Podengo , along with the fact that I do believe I may be completely sold on a breed!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Hello from PA!  Empty Welcome

Post  Admin Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Is that a picture of your dog? Looks like maybe some Beagle. It is not unusual for some hunters to breed Podengo's with Beagle if they think their Podengos are not 'noisy' enough on the hunt or to get a smaller size. I'm glad he found a good home with you.
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Hello from PA!  Empty Re: Hello from PA!

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Here is the full size version of my little guy,

I "think" he might be to petite to be a beagle mix , he is 15lbs at the heaviest. He just takes a BIG picture haha
    He has an almost full wire coat , but his shoulder/hips are smooth.

Hello from PA!  0822001623c
    Hello from PA!  0818001004c
    Hello from PA!  0905001250
    The dog next to him in this picture is 22lbs for size reference,
    Hello from PA!  0914001851a
    Hello from PA!  0818001438
    This is the second smallest easywalk harness they sell,
    Hello from PA!  0824001514
    houlaskennels
    houlaskennels

Post  houlaskennels Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy finding out more information on our wonderful Podengo Pequenos. They are a very interesting breed, something totally different from Parson Russell Terriers and Beagles that I have raised for years. So welcome.
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Im definetly almost completely sold on Podengos. I do believe my next dog will be a Medio.

I wish the forum was more active!
    dmcarty
    dmcarty

Hello from PA!  Empty more active

Post  dmcarty Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:26 pm

There are some lovely medio smooth puppies in Portugal and Findland right now. Some wire too - please let me know if you are serious as there are many 'arrangements' that can be made when we are talking about the bigger sizes.

Take a look at www.podengopuppies.com
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I won't be seriously looking for hopefully a few years.
    My personal limit on dogs is three house dogs and a livestock guardian dog or two.
    I currently have three house dogs and won't be adding anymore until one passes away which hopefully isnt for quite awhile.

I actually came across my podengo looking for a dog to do Search and Rescue with.
    Any thoughts on wether a Medio could successfully do this?
    dmcarty
    dmcarty

Post  dmcarty Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:15 am

Well they are smart - trainable and intense. I had a Grande that I wanted to place with a search and Rescue Group but they didn't need a new dog at that time.
    Brokenhalterfarm
    Brokenhalterfarm

Post  Brokenhalterfarm Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Thats weird that they wouldnt be interested in the dog. The group i've been working with is always testing dogs out to see if they can do it.

Im glad to hear first hand thoughts on it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm